Sunday, March 20 was the first official day of Spring 2016 and a perfect time to bring a new kitten home. Here are five things to consider when you are considering a kitten for your forever home.
- Make sure that your kitten is at least three months of age. By then, mom has socialized and weaned the kitten so that it can survive.
- A healthy kitten has a muscular body, firm to the touch, clear eyes and will move with confidence and strength.
- Whether buying from a breeder or whether you get your cat from your local rescue, be sure to find out all you can about the kitten. For a pedigreed cat, talk with your breeder so that you can understand the temperament and pedigree behind the kitten. For a rescue kitten, be sure to get as much information about the conditions which the kitten was found.
- Choose your vet in advance and talk to her about how to keep your kitten happy and healthy. Your vet is the best expert to guide you about proper nutrition and care.
- Have fun bonding with your new kitten that will build over time and so that you can become pals for years to come.